| Articles | So, You Want to be a Dog Owner | The Daily Funnies | F.A.Q's | Contact Us | Submit Content | Links Directory | Home |


People Food that is Bad For Your Dog

We spend billions of dollars every year to feed our pets. We buy the best dry and canned foods available, but still, most of our pets would much rather eat people food. Veterinarians warn that some foods can be very dangerous to pets and may cause illness and in some cases, even death. This is because some foods are toxic due to ingredients they contain and others because of improper cooking, storage or poor hygiene.

Alcoholic Beverages: Alcoholic beverages contain Ethanol which can be toxic when an excessive amount is ingested. Because pets are much smaller than humans they can be affected by only a small amount of alcohol. Signs that your dog has ingested alcohol may include the odor of alcohol on the animal's breath, staggering, behavioral changes, excitement, depression, increased urination, slowed respiratory rate or cardiac arrest. If these symptoms are present, contact your local pet hospital at once. Sickness or death may result if your dog is not treated.

Apples, Apricots, Cherries, Peaches and Plums: Large amounts of stems, seeds and leaves of these fruits can be toxic to dogs. Signs of sickness are apprehension, dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, hyperventilation or shock.

Avocados: Avocado's contain "persin," which is a fatty acid derivative in the leaves and in the fruit. Symptoms your dog may show after eating an avocado can include difficulty breathing, abdominal enlargement due to fluid accumulations in the chest, abdomen and the sac around the heart. Even small amounts can cause problems. never feed your pet any component of the avocado.

Baking Powder and Baking Soda: Baking soda and baking powder are both leavening agents used in baked goods. They produce a gas that makes batters and dough rise. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Baking powder is baking soda and an acid called cream of tartar, calcium acid phosphate, sodium aluminum sulfate or a mixture of all three. Ingestion of large amounts  can lead to low potassium, low calcium and/or high sodium levels, congestive heart failure or muscle spasms.

Chocolate: Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine. Both are nervous system stimulants and can be toxic to your dog in large amounts. The amount of caffeine and theobromine will be different in different types of chocolate. White chocolate has the lowest concentration while bakers chocolate or cacao beans have the highest.

Depending on the amount eaten, various problems may occur including vomiting and diarrhea. You will also notice restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination and excessive panting. Fatal or near fatal amounts will cause accelerated heart rate and blood pressure levels. Seizures may occur in severe cases.

Coffee: Coffee contains caffeine. The symptoms are the same as chocolate. They can be just as serious.

Fatty Foods: Rich and fatty foods are just as tempting for dogs as they are for humans. Foods that are high in fat can cause Pancreatitis. Pancreatitis can affect any pet. Miniature breeds are particularly prone to this disease. Signs include acute vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. Dog can become very sick very quickly. Intensive fluid and antibiotic therapy by a Veterinarian is needed at once.

Dairy: Dairy products in general are not highly dangerous but they can be high in fat. Pets also do not digest dairy products because they lack the enzyme required to digest lactose. This affects some pets more than others. The affects can range from gas problems to diarrhea. Small amounts of plain yogurt or cheese are tolerated by most dogs but it is best avoid dairy products altogether.

Grapes and Raisins. Eating grapes or raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. Aggressive treatment is necessary to give an affected dog a chance of survival. Without treatment, death is possible, so contact your veterinarian immediately if your dog has eaten grapes and raisins.

Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts, are highly toxic to dogs. It has been determined that as few as six nuts have caused severe toxic reactions. These reactions include weakness, depression, vomiting, difficulty walking, tremors, abdominal pain, lameness, stiffness or pale gums. These signs can dissipate in 12 to 36 hours.

Onions and Garlic: Dogs lack the natural enzyme necessary to digest onions. Results of eating them include gas, vomiting, diarrhea or severe intestinal pain. If large amounts of onion or garlic are ingested  the red blood cells may become fragile and can break apart. This is due to the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Signs can begin immediately noticed after eating the onion or within a few days. Large quantities of garlic would need to be ingested before signs are seen. Death can occur if the dog eat a lot of onions or garlic and do not medical treatment.

Nutmeg: High levels of nutmeg can be toxic or even fatal. Signs of toxicity include tremors, seizures, nervous system abnormalities or death.

Moldy and Spoiled Food: Serious medical problems can arise when dogs get into the trash containing moldy or spoiled food. In addition to the threat of food poisoning, some pets develop tremors related to the ingestion of certain molds.



| Articles | So, You Want to be a Dog Owner | The Daily Funnies | F.A.Q's | Contact Us | Submit Content | Links Directory | Home |


Copyright 2006-2008 Dogomine Productions - All Rights Reserved